My friend Kim is pregnant with her second child, and she recently emailed to ask about life with two kids. As I shared with her some of the things the Lord had taught me, I was reminded of a time Rocky was about a week old. It was evening, and Gracie was crying because she wanted me to hold her. Rocky was crying because he was having trouble latching on for a feeding, and I was crying because I was feeling overwhelmed. I felt sad for Gracie because I knew she didn't understand why I couldn't hold her, and in my hormonal, post-pregnancy state-of-mind, I was afraid she would think I didn't love her anymore. Then, Lou gently reminded me that God was using all of this to help Gracie learn to share and not to be selfish. That helped me so much.Recently, a young mom in our church asked me for some counsel. She had read many books and articles on how her kids needed time outside each day, and they needed play dates and so on and so on. She was overwhelmed and was having a hard time getting everything done. As we talked, I started thinking about what is really important. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great for kids to have time outside and time with other children, but is that really the most important thing? The world's wisdom is very child-focused and tells parents that we must do all these things for our children and give them all of these opportunities if they are to succeed. But God's Word talks about training our children "in the way they should go." We know that God would have us to teach our children about Him in all that we do, and in doing that, we are to teach them to be patient, to be kind, to be unselfish, to be content, to be obedient that they would glorify God in all they do. This is what is really important. So often I lose sight of that. I thought of this the last time we went out for ice cream. Gracie really enjoyed the ice cream, and she was sad when it was gone. Instead of trying to pacify her by diverting her attention, I tried to talk to her about being thankful for the ice cream and for being content with what God allowed us to have. Even though I know she's little and doesn't understand a lot of what I say, I think, in part, I say it for my own benefit, too. I need to be reminded to be thankful and content with what God provides for us. Isn't God good to teach us even as we seek to teach our children?



1 comment:
Amy, The pictures you have posted are adorable and the cape pic is beautiful. Go for it, try selling your pictures - it doesn't hurt to try. Try contacting stock websites like photos.com or flickr.com, maybe sxc.hu.
I have a few minutes while dinner is cooking and thought I'd check out your blog, it had been a while since I had. I love your comments, all that you are learning about being a mom. I'm so excited to be a mom someday. I love your reflection on God teaching patience, sharing, etc. We are ever learning! He has a plan for us, and we learn line upon line, precept upon precept. Andrew is at boot camp. I was so afraid for him to go, and he was too! I heard how he called home the first time and Dad could hear his sergeant yelling in the background and swearing, I thought even harder, is this the right thing for him? Before he left I told him that I knew it would be hard, but if he remembered to pray, and read his scriptures, he would feel peace and Heavenly Father's love. I told him we couldn't be with him but Heavenly Father always is. Guess what? Another learning experience for me and him - like you talked about. He got to write his first letter home, he said it's hard and he hates it - but that when he's low, he has called on Heavenly Father in prayer and he reads his scriptures, and he is comforted. He loves going to church and the spirit he feels there. He's learning on his own, in a place I thought was too mean and hard for him. But we have all prayed for him in all our prayers and I know Heavenly Father answers them. He has taught me that He will and he has a plan, we learn on His timetable. I loved reading what you wrote. I guess it's all on my mind too. Sorry, this is a long comment, but I was so glad to have a minute to read what you have written. Thanks!
It was so awesome to see you all in June. I miss you all so much. I was so glad to hear your dad's surgery went well and Jim's. Give my love to everyone. Take care.
Love,
Braden and Jen
Post a Comment