Thursday, October 16, 2008

ABCs


I finally got a video of Gracie singing her ABCs. Actually, it's E through Z (She started singing before the video started recording). Usually, when I pull the camera out, she stops whatever she's doing and says, "No...shy!" Unfortunately, the lighting isn't the best, but at least we got it! This has been a bit of a challenging week for us. Rocky is teething and also starting to express his displeasure when he's told "no." We've been working on obedience more intently now that he's started crawling and going for things like the floor lamp. I forgot how hard this is in the beginning. It makes me appreciate Gracie's obedience even more and gives me hope that Rocky will learn. We just have to be consistent and trust the Lord for patience. Please pray for us in this.
Praise the Lord for the fall weather! We've enjoyed taking walks outside this week in the cool air. We live on a small cul-de-sac, and Gracie loves to walk down to the end and back. There are several things we have to stop and look at on the way--the red house, the moss patch growing by the road, the fire hydrant, etc. Today, Gracie collected pine cones, and we put them in a planter on our step. It's so fun to watch her get excited about such simple things! She's talking so much now. It's great to be able to communicate with her. It's funny to hear her say things and then realize that she's picked up certain expressions from us. Lately, when she's eating, I'll ask her if she needs help getting food on her fork, and she'll say, "I got it!" Then, I started realizing how much I say that when I'm all set with something. If I can get a video of her saying it, I'll post it.
Over the last few weeks, I've started reading The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur. We just got the anniversary edition from Grace to You. I'd actually never read it, so I thought it was about time I did. I have really enjoyed it. It's amazing to me to read different passages from the gospels that I've known my whole life and realize how much was there that I had missed. Yesterday, I finished the chapter on Jesus' encounter with the rich young ruler. It's so sad to see him choose his wealth and position over Christ, and it made me wonder what I'm holding on to that I need to submit to Christ. When I really stop and consider the value of Christ, I'm convicted by how foolishly I value other less important things.
"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world but forfeits his own soul?"
~Matthew 16:26